Channels, (פֶלֶג peleg #6388) of water, (מַיִם mayim #4325) are the hearts, (לֵב leb #3820 from lebab) of king’s, (מֶלֶךְ melek #4428) in the hand, (יָד yad #3027) of YHVH, (יְהוָֹה #3068). He stretches out, (נָטָה natah #5186) over (עַל a’al #5921 from alah) the way, (derek #) of all, (kol #3605) wherever, (אֲשֶׁר asher #834) He pleases, (חָפֵץ chaphets #2654).
Man, (אִישׁ ish #376) is upright, (יָשָׁר yashar #3477) in his eyes, (עַיִן ayin #5869) but YHVH (יְהוָֹה #3068) weighs, (תָּכַן takan #8505) hearts, (לִבָּה libbah #3826 from lebab).
To do, (לִבָּה a’asah #6213) what is Right, (צְדָקָה Tzedaqah #6666 from Tzedeq) and Just, (מִשְׁפָט Mishpat #4941 from Shaphat) we will choose, (בָּחר bachar #977) for YHVH, (יְהוָֹה #3068) from sacrifice, (זֶבַח zebach #2077 from zabach).
Exalted, (רוּם Rum #7311) eyes, (עַיִן a’aiyn #5869) and a proud, (רָחָב rachab #7342) heart, (לֵב layb #3820 from lebab)-tillage (נִיר niyr #5215) of the wicked, (רָשְׁע rasha’a #7563) is sin, (חַטָּאָה Chattah #2403)
The plans, (מַחֲשָׁבָה machashabah #4284) of the diligent, (חֲרוּץ charutz #2742) surely, (אַךְ ak #389 from akayn) profit, (מוֹתָר mothar #4195 from yathar) but all, (כֹּל kol #3605 from kalal) haste, (אוּץ ootz #213) surely, (אַךְ ak #389) lack, (מַחְסוֹר machsor #4270 from chaser).
6. A fortune made by a lying tongue is a fleeting vapor and a deadly snare.
7. The violence of the wicked will drag them away, for they refuse to do what is right.
8. The way of the guilty is devious, but the conduct of the innocent is upright.
9. Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.
10. The wicked crave evil; their neighbors get no mercy from them.
11. When a mocker is punished, the simple gain wisdom; by paying attention to the wise they get knowledge.
12. The Righteous One takes note of the house of the wicked and brings the wicked to ruin.
13. Whoever shuts their ears to the cry of the poor will also cry out and not be answered.
14. A gift given in secret soothes anger,
and a bribe concealed in the cloak pacifies great wrath.
15. When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.
16. Whoever strays from the path of prudence comes to rest in the company of the dead.
17. Whoever loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and olive oil will never be rich.
18. The wicked become a ransom for the righteous, and the unfaithful for the upright.
19. Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife.
20. The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down.
21. Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor.
22. One who is wise can go up against the city of the mighty and pull down the stronghold in which they trust.
23. Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity.
24. The proud and arrogant person—“Mocker” is his name—behaves with insolent fury.
25. The craving of a sluggard will be the death of him, because his hands refuse to work.
26. All day long he craves for more, but the righteous give without sparing.
27. The sacrifice of the wicked is detestable—how much more so when brought with evil intent!
28. A false witness will perish, but a careful listener will testify successfully.
29. The wicked put up a bold front, but the upright give thought to their ways.
30. There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan
that can succeed against YHVH.
31. The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with YHVH.