Proverbs Chapter 31
1. The sayings, (dabar #1697) of king, (melek #4428) Lemuel, (another term for King Solomon)—burdens, (massa #4853) his mother taught, (yasar #3256) him.
2. Listen, my son! Listen, son of my womb! Listen, my son, the answer to my prayers!
3. Do not spend your strength on women, your vigor on those who ruin kings.
4. It is not for kings, Lemuel—it is not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer,
5. lest they drink and forget what has been decreed, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.
6. Let beer be for those who are perishing, wine for those who are in anguish!
7. Let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.
8. Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.
9. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.
Epilogue: The Wife of CHayil, Strong Character
10. A wife, (ishshah #802) of Strong Character, (2428, CHayil) who, (mi #4310) can find, (matzah #4672)? She is worth, (meker #4377) far more, (rachoq #7350) than jewels/rubies/pearls, (peninim #6443).
11. The heart, (leb #3820) or her husband, (baal #1167) confidently/safely/trusts, (batach #982) in her and lacks, (chaser #2637), no (lo #3808) possessions, (shalal #7998).
12. She brings forth, (gamal #1580) good, (tov #2896) not harm, (ra #7451) all, (kol #3605) the days, (yom #3117) of her life, (chay #2416).
13. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
14. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.
15. She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants.
16. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
18. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
19. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
21. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
26. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
29. “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.”
30. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears YHVH is to be praised.
31. Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.